Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pepa Remembrance

As most of you reading this know, my Pepa passed away this last Friday, August 19th.  He was a great man and treasured by many, he certainly will be missed.  It was an honor for me to get to speak at his funeral.  Below is what I wrote and read from at the service.


Before I get started I’ve just got one thing I need to settle…When I meet and speak with Pepa in heaven for the first time, I’ll need at least one of ya’ll to vouch for me that I was clean-shaven at his funeral!!!  Any takers?

I heard a quote a few months ago, and it seems most appropriate for this occasion: 

"God gave us memory, or the power to remember, so that we might have roses in December.”

And I know everyone here will be needing those fond and special moments spent with Charles, or Pepa, to act as roses a lot sooner than the literal December of 2011, for this winter season of grieving came all too swift and sudden.  Good thing for all of us he was such a memorable man!

It’s been so soothing hearing some of your experiences testifying to this over the past few days.  Please continue to share these wonderful stories about this truly beloved, one of a kind individual.  To me personally, they are both precious and priceless. 

The following are some of my roses.

I’ll remember him as my #1 sports fan.  I’ll remember watching John Wayne marathons and WWII movies together…films like The Searchers and Patton truly are timeless!  Going fishing, shooting BBs into a plastic milk jug filled with water, his recollections about playing football and several other sports, both in HS and overseas while serving in the Army. 
 
His generous giving, in smaller monetary amounts like collecting quarters with each of the 50 state’s logos for us grandkids to have as collectors items, working up to gas/date money, even going so far as substantial amounts to be used for fundraisers, missions trips, tuition, and car payments. 
I remember calling him one night when I was in elementary school, asking him to buy some products from a magazine to raise money for our school.  When he finished ordering, His purchase amount seemed way too high, and I told him “Pepa, you don’t have to give that much!”  He responded with “Brooks, I don’t have to give anything, I want to give this much!”  It’s funny what sticks with you… these words from Proverbs 13:22 are so true of him “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children.”
 
From an early age I knew that Pepa loved the Lord.  I remember going to their church, watching “Brother Charles” from the pew as he would direct the congregation in singing praises to God, Him holding up a 3 or a 4, indicating what line was to be sung next.  I thought that was so cool!    This wasn’t just a Sunday thing either, as probably my favorite times now looking back are singing hymns with him and other family members around Mema at the piano in their living room.  He held up fingers there just like he did at church!

Psalm 100 was one of his favorites, and is especially fitting.


Psalm 100

His Steadfast Love Endures Forever
A Psalm for giving thanks.
1 Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth!
2 Serve the LORD with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
3Know that the LORD, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;[a]
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
5 For the LORD is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.


I’m eternally grateful that God’s steadfast love and faithfulness have indeed extended to my generation…and that the God that Pepa and Mema love is the same one Karen, Mary, and my Dad love, the same one all of us grandkids love. 
I’ll close with this.  Going back to him being my number one sports fan, in regard to baseball and my batting, he would always tell me, 2 for 3 babe, 2 for 3.  I was always so proud when I achieved this feat. 

But I’m so thankful myself and Pepa both serve a God who is infinitely better than that.  2 for 3 will get you inducted into Baseball’s Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, but not into good standing with God.  He has always been perfect and always will be.  His holiness and righteousness are unapproachable and unattainable. 

Aren’t you glad though that we can rest and hope in the gospel…that this holy God loved sinners so much that He sent His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, fully God and fully man, who, among other things, lived the perfect life that we could never live, died a painful and gruesome death on a cross to pay the price for our sin debt, and on the third day rose again victorious, conquering sin, death, and the grave. 
That’s a 3 for 3 you can trust in, that’s a Savior you can believe in to receive salvation, an eternal life starting not when you die, but right now.  And what a trade, to get His perfect righteousness, by just repenting and confessing your own inadequacy and sinfulness.  Trusting in His finished work alone, by grace alone through faith alone.  He is the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father but through Him!!!
Pray with me.  God I pray this gospel seed would fall on good soil, and that many would leave here forever changed, if they’ve not already had a personal encounter with your Amazing Grace.  As we honor Pepa, I pray that we would also honor and glorify You, and that like Pepa, many more might be born again to a living hope, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for those of us who are protected by your power through faith.  Amen.





Thanks to all of you who prayed for and supported our family during this difficult time.  It has been such a blessing seeing family and friends rally around one another.  Below is a link to his page on the Crawford ~ A. Crim Funeral Home site.  Take care and God Bless!

http://www.crawfordacrim.com/services.asp?locid=1&page=odetail&id=508



No comments:

Post a Comment