Saturday, September 10, 2011

Psalm 37:4

I have just completed my second week of "Jungle Training" at Dallas Theological Seminary.  The description in quotes was coined by none other than DTS's beloved Chancellor, Dr. Chuck Swindoll.  For those of you who are not familiar with him or his ministry, I strongly urge you to acquaint yourself.  He is a giant in evangelical circles.  A powerful communicator who has a knack for captivating his audiences, equally effective through the mediums of both pen and pulpit.

He spoke in chapel this past Tuesday, and even though I have classes only on Wednesday/Friday, I decided to make the jaunt from Allen to Dallas to hear him speak.  My cousin Travis joined me as well.  We arrived early to get a seat (when he speaks there are almost none available if you are late), and as we approached the building guess who our paths crossed with?...Dr. Swindoll!  Needless to say it was a special thrill even getting to shake his hand and idly chatting for a minute or so.  It would be like a huge Cowboy fan getting to meet and greet Troy Aikman, really cool.  Although, when we parted ways the following thought did creep into my head "Man, I knew I should've shaved today".  Ehh, he didn't seem to care, I think I'm good haha.

Below is the link to his sermon from the DTS chapel podcast.  If you are interested in learning more about why he refers to seminary as "Jungle Training" then check it out: http://www.dts.edu/media/play/enduring-through-ministry-swindoll-charles-r/


My first two weeks of school have honestly been a blur.  It's so easy for me to get caught up in all the plates I have to keep spinning that I can forget to acknowledge and praise God for this incredible opportunity He's bestowed me.  So while walking the halls and sidewalks of campus this week I intentionally paused to ponder just how good and gracious God has been in my life.  The following brief recollections I hope will serve to catalyze my remembrance of His faithfulness to His promise in Psalm 37:4, where David writes "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart."


The list could stretch far greater, but these seemed most noteworthy:

1. Growing up I longed to play Division 1 baseball. I poured tons of time and energy into this desire.  All along though God was more concerned with developing my character.  He loved me too much to allow its bypass en route to an elite baseball program.  He lovingly used my #1 delight at the time to break me down and make me realize how empty in and of itself that delight truly was.  Once I learned that lesson, He gradually built me back up and was pleased to fulfill my dreams by allowing me to play baseball at Baylor. What a God!

2. Once at Baylor, he then answered my desire to have godly men in Waco come alongside me to help me grow spiritually.  I met Ben Johnson through Baylor FCA my first year, Dave Alford through my church the following year, and Chris Wommack the last year.  All of these men were in my wedding, and along with my Dad, they serve as the men I seek to model most.  Such a blessing.

3. During my second year at Baylor, God answered another prayer and desire of mine by allowing me to meet a great girl.  God orchestrated all these events perfectly and His hand was so evidently guiding Katy and I throughout our entire dating relationship.  From the beginning I knew that if she wasn't the one, I wanted to marry one just like her.  I now get to run this race that is the Christian life with a fellow competitor and best friend.  I love her so much and am so thankful for her love, support, and partnership.

4. Once married, Katy and I journeyed to Memphis to complete a 9 month discipleship training program.  That year was such a gift, and now that it's in the rear-view mirror we have so many fond memories and relationships to treasure.  God used that year in a number of fantastic ways, and His providence certainly was the driving force behind the perfect storm that swept us back to Texas.  I might write about this topic more in depth another time, but after that year in Memphis I knew God was for sure calling me to ministry, and I knew He wanted me to come to DTS.  The same DTS that produced the likes of David Jeremiah, Tony Evans, Tommy Nelson, Howard Hendricks, Chip Ingram, and the aforementioned Chuck Swindoll.  I've loved listening to some of these men for years, and now I get to sit where they sat, walk where they walked.  Amazing, somebody pinch me.

5. Lastly, while in Memphis I began to feel a burden to partner with families as they give the primary spiritual guidance and leadership to their children.  This was expressed in my last post, but what a desire that God fulfilled and granted...to allow me the honor and privilege of shepherding these students here at Allen Bible Church.  Again, same tune different verse...God is good!



I have failed God and fallen short on a daily basis.  That's been my role in this whole deal.  But God is gracious and patient, and as David says elsewhere in Psalm 25, God's mercy and steadfast love have been from of old. All His paths are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those keep his covenant and His testimonies. His friendship is for those who fear Him.

But He's more than a friend...He's a loving Father who takes great joy and pleasure in granting His children their deepest desires, when they continually make knowing Him their heart's supreme delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment